WE'RE MOVING SOON. DON'T PAY US ANY ATTENTION. THIS VERSION OF DROP-BOMB is officially DEAD.

January 09, 2009

The Elephant in the Room (No Fat Joe)



The Chop Suey Shooting seems to be on everyone's mind. So I wanted to drop a few of my thoughts in the mix. Mainly on the fact that the Hip-Hop Scene is going to die and we're not going to have a place to go anymore, and people are going to blame hip-hop. I'll admit when I first heard about it, I thought that was it for Seattle but I've realized none of that will happen if we don't want it to and I'll tell you why.

Hip-Hop doesn't kill people, people kill people.

A few years ago. Seattle used to have a pretty dope nightlife for clubs and such. At least it felt like that to me. I was like 20 getting drunk and going to 131 and heavens every weekend, all weekend finding random skeeza's to bang, having fun with the homies every night and listening to some dope dj's. Then I don't know what happened, it seemed like all of a sudden every night was a fight, or a shooting. Pretty soon there was this public outcry on Nickles to do something and he started blaming it on all the clubs and they kept closing down different places. The place in Pioneer that Hamlin got beat up at (name escapes me), They turned Tabellas into a church, sugar got sold and turned into a gay bar (last time I checked) and who knows what ever happened to level 5. Now personally I go out once in a while to catch up with old friends but the clubs suck, the dj's suck, and the people are still ignorant and looking for a fight or get grabby on the girls. But if you need to scratch that club itch, there's still a zillion places to go despite all that's happened.

Point is... Seattle's hip hop scene will never die and there will never be a shortage of clubs as long as we want to go to them. There's a million examples as to why this is. They tried shutting everything down with the club scene. The clubs still popped up in new spots all over. If you prefer football, Pacman Jones will STILL get a contract after the cowboys just released him, despite all the trouble attached and Mike Vick will play when he's released from prison. It's just the way it happens. However, even if it becomes some sort of ridiculous law in seattle that it becomes illegal to perform hip-hop in public I'm sure some of us will open our houses/apartments and make that shit in our bathtub (c) prohibition.

Somehow there has to be a responsibility for these clubs to always have security, if it's an added fee on the ticket, I will gladly pay it and I'm sure others will. This can't just be their responsibility either. It's on us too. Promoters make sure it's happening, artists insist it at your show, fans that show up and don't see security ask for the club owner or someone in charge and let them know they're fuckin up or leave and don't support that club.

It will be all the rage on the news and they will blame it on the music, but we ought to be used to defending our culture by now. So what's new?

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

No comments: